If you’ve completed your taxes for 2018, you probably have a pile of receipts, 1099s, and bank statements. Be sure to organize them and store them in a secure place. You may need to refer to them in the future if there’s an error on your return or if you need to file an amendment or are audited. I had to file an amendment 2 years after I did my return because of a foolish mistake.

Keep all your records including  proof of income, including W-2s and 1099s, bank and brokerage statements, K-1 forms bills and invoices, credit card statements, mileage logs, cancelled checks and spousal-support payment records and any of your financial records. Hang onto everything for 10 years if you are self-employed. The IRS has the right to review all tax returns filed during the time in which you can amend your tax return to claim a credit or refund or the IRS can assess additional tax, which is typically three years from the date you filed for any given year.

I hope you got some money back!